Halotestin tablets are often used by powerlifters and athletes due to their fluoxymesterone content – an androgenic hormone.
Fluoxymesterone may either be a white or nearly-white crystalline powder that is virtually odorless. It’s also insoluble in water, but slightly soluble in alcohol with a melting point of approximately 240 C. Apart from these physical characteristics, it has various benefits and side effects for powerlifters.
Benefits of Halotestin (Fluoxymesterone)
Halotestin is a type of Anabolic Androgenic Steroid (AAS) that is 19 times as anabolic as testosterone and 8.5 times as androgenic as testosterone:
(i) Halotestin’s androgenic effect: Androgens are part of the basic sex hormones belonging to the steroidal family. They are made up of fat molecules. Androgens (also called testoids) function by binding to androgen receptors, hence stimulating, promoting and maintaining male sex characteristics. The resulting effect is an increased muscle structure growth, as well as inhibiting the accumulation and storage of fat within the body. This androgenic effect may also contribute to fat loss, by regulating fatty acid oxidation within both fast- and slow-twitch muscle mitochondria.
(ii) Halotestin’s anabolic effect: anabolism is a metabolic process that enhances already existing body cells. Such enhancement may be slightly in terms of size, but largely in increasing the strength of muscle cells, which contributes to conditioning. Since halotestin is much more anabolic than androgenic, powerlifters should expect greater strength benefits, rather than increased muscle mass.
Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS), such as fluoxymesterone, also contribute to retention of sodium, nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, as well as decreased excretion of calcium in urine. When combined with sufficient calorie and protein intake, AAS would improve the nitrogen balance within the body. Moreover, the androgenic effect would reduce break down of protein and enhance formation of protein in the body, thus contributing to increased muscle mass. All these aspects make AAS beneficial towards increased absorption of nutrients within the body.
The benefits of fluoxymesterone has a lot to do with its make-up. It’s produced through the modification of testosterone with:
(a) A 17alpha-methyl cluster: This modification gives it the capacity to survive oral ingestion. It can also prevent destruction within the liver during an initial pass through it.
(b) A 11beta-hydroxy cluster: This second modification helps to inhibit aromatization (conversion to estrogen).
(c) A 9-fluoro cluster: The name fluoxymesterone is derived from this group, which lends it its highly anabolic characteristics.
Steroids that are largely anabolic, including halotestin tablets, will not experience a conversion to estrogen. This is because estrogen is a basic precursor to androgenic hormones. This means that anabolic steroids will not produce much of the negative effects related to estrogen. For instance, absence of estrogenic activity will effectively cancel out water retention within the body.
Apparently, bodybuilders possessing very low body-fat levels may also experience some volumizing effect with halotestin intake during the pre-contest period. However, the most significant benefit to powerlifters comes from the effect of halotestin within the blood. Various research findings have documented the significant increase caused by halotestin to red blood cell mass, hematocrit level and hemoglobin level. In fact such benefits have been evident in people with or without functional kidneys. These beneficial aspects include:
– Increased hemoglobin levels: Hemoglobin is the protein found within red blood cells, useful for transportation of oxygen to various cells within the body. Since oxygen is a key component necessary for aerobic respiration leading to production of energy, an increased hemoglobin level within the blood will likely lead to enhanced energy levels. Through a blood test, you can determine the quantity of hemoglobin within your blood.
– Increased hematocrit levels: Hematocrit is a type of blood test useful in measuring the portion (in terms of volume) of blood that constitutes of red blood cells. Such a measurement would depend on the red blood cell count, as well as the cells size. Considering that red blood cells contain hemoglobin, which contributes to energy levels within your body, an increased hematocrit level would also lead to increased energy levels.
– Increased red blood cell mass: An increased red blood cell mass means greater quantities of hemoglobin in the blood and increased energy within the body.
Side Effects Of Halotestin
Despite its numerous benefits, fluoxymesterone does have various side effects.
Many studies have clearly identified halotestin as being hepatoxic (liver toxic). In order to avoid such toxicity within the liver halotestin should not be used in excessive quantities or for long durations. Preferably, such doses should be approximately 40 mgs/ day for a period of 4 to 6 weeks. In fact, a 10 mgs dose before a workout can be sufficient enough to enhance aggression.
Halotestin may also cause certain side effects of psychological concern to females. These include:
– Hirsutism: Characterized by excessive hairiness in body parts where hair doesn’t normally occur. Such areas may include the chest, back, abdomen and face. This hair growth is similar to hairiness in males, hence making it a basic psychological and cosmetic concern for females.
– Dysphonia (vocal changes): females may also experience hoarsening of their voice. This is due to the direct androgenic effect of halotestin on the vocal muscle tissues and larynx. Normally, these vocal muscle tissues and larynx don’t get exposed to high levels of androgen hormones in females. Hence the increased exposure to androgenic steroids changes them into a more masculine form, rather than a feminine form, which can end up becoming permanent.
According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), use of androgens such as halotestin should be done cautiously, particularly in males who have delayed puberty. This is because androgens may accelerate bone maturation, but having no compensatory linear growth. Ultimately, the affected person would not possess the intended linear growth, despite achieving maturity.
The presence of halotestin within the body can be detected through urine tests for a period of 5 days following intake of a 10 mg oral dose. Usually, the parent drug cannot be detected more than 1 day following the dose, however, such urine tests would still detect 2 metabolites related to Halotestin.
The use of Halotestin is much more pronounced among athletes and powerlifters, as compared to bodybuilders. This is mainly because it doesn’t produce significant gain in muscle mass. However, it does produce increased strength and aggression, which is quite useful during powerlifting competitions. It’s instrumental in hardening up lean muscle body tissue during the period before contests, characterized by calorie depleted workouts.